Tuesday, January 7, 2014

worn pillows

Lime green and white gingham-checked bedspread with matching pillow shams and coordinating lime green walls...what third grade girl in 1973 wouldn't have wanted such a room? I had the largest room in the new house and it was freshly painted and although I did share this room with everyone of my siblings at some point between the age of 8 and 15, I have to think it was decorated for me.

And then at 15 I went away all summer to work at church camp and my parents painted it a more grown up taupe (!), put in a double bed removing the two twin beds and finally made this room all mine.  By then there was only Eric and I in the house and so we each got our own room.  Nestled on the bed were 5 sweet floral-patterned pillows. Each one was sewn into the shape of a letter and spelled out my name.  If nothing else it motivated me to make my bed every morning so I could arrange the pillows properly. I loved those pillows but they may have shown their age before I moved out at 18.

Just yesterday I got an email from the now adult woman that lived next door to us.  She was born in 1976 and I was her babysitter from the time she arrived at the house just across the alley from our home.  I spent almost as much time at her home caring for her and her older brother or just hanging out with their parents than I did in my own home sometimes. I loved her mom and dad and they always made me feel safe and a part of their family.  

Today she is a mom herself, married and a math teacher here in Eugene.  She is a beautiful woman and I am so proud to call her friend all these years later.  As so many of the messages, texts and emails have this week, hers reminisced about time past and sweet memories.  But listen to this: "I remember those pillows you used to have on your bed that spelled out your name and then when I got older you got me my own."

I had to laugh because I remember thinking at the time that all I had to do to make them spell her name was to remove the U from the mix.  When I began to move from home for school, I removed said letter and gave them to her.  In her eyes they were a gift, new for her and her own set of name pillows.  They arrived well-loved but were fresh because they were a gift. I broke the news to her today that those pillows were a used gift but that they were a well-loved gift. I love that she only remembers them as new and "her own"

I am well-loved pillows. 

Today and through these past few days, I have felt so much love and care. You have all taken me and arranged me with care in a place where I and my family can rest. 

And when the time is here and I "take a turn toward heaven" I will arrive well-loved, a little worn but well-loved. And then receiving me as a gift, I will be made made new.  

Don't you think every one should arrive well-loved? You give a gift when we make people well-loved. Wear them out with that! 

I take it with great joy that I will arrived well-loved.

3 comments:

  1. Laura, Such a beautifully written entry. You ARE well loved; your words so welcoming and gentle. It was so great to spend a time of much laughter during CHS registration this past fall. So fortunate to have you by my side. Much love to you. You will arrive well loved. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is beautiful. Indeed you will arrive well-loved, even by those who haven't met you. I wish you laughter and ease. Ronnie Botwinick Londner

    ReplyDelete